turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

petresjim

I receive two municipal pensions in Michigan and I still work. Is there an advantage to say that "yes" I contributed pension money to the Roth as opposed to saying "no" and having the money to the Roth was from my wages?

I also contribute to my wife's Roth.  There is no direct roll over.  The pension payments and wages to into the same bank account and the Roth is a automatic payment each month.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I receive two municipal pensions in Michigan and I still work. Is there an advantage to say that "yes" I contributed pension money to the Roth as opposed to saying "no" and having the money to the Roth was from my wages?

Yes, there is a disadvantage to claiming that you are contributing your pension money to a Roth.

You are only allowed to contribute earned income to a retirement account. You may not contribute unearned income, such as from a pension.

As long as you have earned income, you may continue contributing to both your and your wife's IRAs, up to the contribution limit or the amount of your earned income, whichever is smaller. Once you stop working, you will no longer be able to contribute.

You can contribute to a traditional IRA if you are under age 70 1/2 or at any age for a Roth. Certain other limits apply.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Yes, there is a disadvantage to claiming that you are contributing your pension money to a Roth.

You are only allowed to contribute earned income to a retirement account. You may not contribute unearned income, such as from a pension.

As long as you have earned income, you may continue contributing to both your and your wife's IRAs, up to the contribution limit or the amount of your earned income, whichever is smaller. Once you stop working, you will no longer be able to contribute.

You can contribute to a traditional IRA if you are under age 70 1/2 or at any age for a Roth. Certain other limits apply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies