turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My SSA pmt history reflects a one-time pmt for Dec 2017, but the 1099 I received only shows the total pd. Can I claim the lump sum pmt even if it isn't on the 1099?

I began receiving social security in Apr 2018, and when I signed up the agent talked me into taking it retroactively, back to Dec 2017 when I first applied. So on my history online, there is a one-time payment  for Dec 2017, and a one-time payment for Jan-March 2018, with the regular payments starting in April 2018.

Is this lump sum what they are referring to when they ask if you received a lump sum attributable to previous year, and if so, should I have received a separate statement from Social Security?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

My SSA pmt history reflects a one-time pmt for Dec 2017, but the 1099 I received only shows the total pd. Can I claim the lump sum pmt even if it isn't on the 1099?

Yes, that is what is referred to as a lump-sum payment.  You would not have received a separate statement from Social Security.  If the payment was received in 2018, then it should have been reported on your 2018 SSA-1099.  Since it was not, you should contact the Social Security Administration to see why it was not. 

For now you should report the SSA-1099 just as it was reported to you.  Do not add the lump sum payment on your own. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Yes, that is what is referred to as a lump-sum payment.  You would not have received a separate statement from Social Security.  If the payment was received in 2018, then it should have been reported on your 2018 SSA-1099.  Since it was not, you should contact the Social Security Administration to see why it was not. 

For now you should report the SSA-1099 just as it was reported to you.  Do not add the lump sum payment on your own. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies