turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I deduct a one time IRA distribution to an HSA

1099R shows the entire $12,000 IRA distribution as taxable.  How do I deduct $4500 portion of this that I put into my HSA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

As I understand it, you had your IRA custodian make a distribution from *your* IRA and transfer the money to *your* HSA, yet you are not eligible for an HSA contribution because you are covered under Medicare.  That makes the IRA distribution taxable and the contribution to your HSA an excess contribution.

Assuming I understand correctly, you'll need to obtain a return of excess contribution from the HSA before the due date of your 2018 tax return.  You can then make a contribution to your spouse's HSA (opening one if your spouse does not already have one) and deduct it on Schedule 1 line 25, offsetting the taxable income from the IRA distribution.  However, if your spouse had self-only HDHP coverage, $4,500 is over the $4,450 limit for 2018 for someone over age 55, so only $4,450 can be contributed to your spouse's HSA.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Was the $4,500 sent directly to the HSA by the IRA custodian?
Did you have family HDHP coverage for 2018?

Yes, it was sent directly by the IRA custodian.  I was covered under Medicare, so only my spouse had HDHP coverage.
dmertz
Level 15

As I understand it, you had your IRA custodian make a distribution from *your* IRA and transfer the money to *your* HSA, yet you are not eligible for an HSA contribution because you are covered under Medicare.  That makes the IRA distribution taxable and the contribution to your HSA an excess contribution.

Assuming I understand correctly, you'll need to obtain a return of excess contribution from the HSA before the due date of your 2018 tax return.  You can then make a contribution to your spouse's HSA (opening one if your spouse does not already have one) and deduct it on Schedule 1 line 25, offsetting the taxable income from the IRA distribution.  However, if your spouse had self-only HDHP coverage, $4,500 is over the $4,450 limit for 2018 for someone over age 55, so only $4,450 can be contributed to your spouse's HSA.

Thank you dmertz, Schedule 1 line 25 (and the supporting 8889) is where we need to offset the taxable distribution.  

When entering HSA contributions in Turbo Tax it says "don't include contributions from IRAs" so we were uncertain where to  enter that offset, but that's misleading - you do need to enter it there as a "personally made contribution".  Thanks for your patience and help!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies