Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I contribute to an IRA to reduce my taxes for 2017? I was in a 401k for 6 mos and in CALPERS, although I did not make the contributions for 6 months. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristyW

Can I contribute to an IRA to reduce my taxes for 2017? I was in a 401k for 6 mos and in CALPERS, although I did not make the contributions for 6 months. Thank you.

Yes, contributions to Traditional IRAs may be deductible, and reduce your taxes. Contributions can be made to your Traditional IRA at any time during the year, or by the due date for filing your tax return in the year following that tax year (not including extensions). (For tax year 2017, your tax return is due April 17, 2018.)

If you contribute between Jan. 1 and April 17, be sure to identify to the financial institution that the contribution payment is being made for the 2017 tax year, and not for the current 2018 calendar year. You can claim a deductible contribution or report a non-deductible contribution (Form 8606) on your return even if you haven't made the contribution yet, provided you make the IRA contribution (it is funded) by the return's due date.

How much of my Traditional IRA contribution is deductible? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristyW

Yes, contributions to Traditional IRAs may be deductible, and reduce your taxes. Contributions can be made to your Traditional IRA at any time during the year, or by the due date for filing your tax return in the year following that tax year (not including extensions). (For tax year 2017, your tax return is due April 17, 2018.)

If you contribute between Jan. 1 and April 17, be sure to identify to the financial institution that the contribution payment is being made for the 2017 tax year, and not for the current 2018 calendar year. You can claim a deductible contribution or report a non-deductible contribution (Form 8606) on your return even if you haven't made the contribution yet, provided you make the IRA contribution (it is funded) by the return's due date.

How much of my Traditional IRA contribution is deductible? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies