Solved: Will I have to pay Federal Income Tax on a Withdrawal (of approx 90% of the current balance) from a Roth IRA I set up 11 years ago?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I have to pay Federal Income Tax on a Withdrawal (of approx 90% of the current balance) from a Roth IRA I set up 11 years ago?

I'm 74 years-old and retired. I rolled an Employee Roth IRA (composed solely of Post-Tax contributions) to a new Roth IRA with a Broker. Over that time, I have received only $660 in Dividends and Interest. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will I have to pay Federal Income Tax on a Withdrawal (of approx 90% of the current balance) from a Roth IRA I set up 11 years ago?

Because Roth IRAs are funded with after-tax dollars (money that's already been taxed), you will pay taxes on your contributions but will not pay taxes when you withdraw them in the future If you are 59½ or over, you may withdraw as much as you want, tax free and penalty free, as long as your Roth IRA has been open for at least 5 years.

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Because Roth IRAs are funded with after-tax dollars (money that's already been taxed), you will pay taxes on your contributions but will not pay taxes when you withdraw them in the future If you are 59½ or over, you may withdraw as much as you want, tax free and penalty free, as long as your Roth IRA has been open for at least 5 years.

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings