Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why was retired military income deducted twice by Turbo Tax? I now have to pay over $1100 difference.

It appears Turbo Tax calculated my tax incorrectly.
What is my recourse?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why was retired military income deducted twice by Turbo Tax? I now have to pay over $1100 difference.

What is the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee?

In plain English, if you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

For complete details, see our Intuit Software End User License Agreement (look about 2/3 of the way down the page, under the heading TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee).

You can read the fine print at the Intuit Software End User License Agreement for TurboTax Desktop Software or the End User License Agreement for TurboTax Online. Enter accurate calculation in the Find feature in your browser (usually listed under Edit) to go to it quickly.

Related Information:

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What is the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee?

In plain English, if you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

For complete details, see our Intuit Software End User License Agreement (look about 2/3 of the way down the page, under the heading TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee).

You can read the fine print at the Intuit Software End User License Agreement for TurboTax Desktop Software or the End User License Agreement for TurboTax Online. Enter accurate calculation in the Find feature in your browser (usually listed under Edit) to go to it quickly.

Related Information:

Carl
Level 15

More than likely, it's user error. What I see quite a lot for those receiving their first 1099-R upon retirement, is they incorrectly enter it in the W-2 section. Then ask for help when they become aware everything required in the W-2 section is not on the 1099-R.

Then when informed of where to enter it correctly in the retirement income section, they enter it there without deleting what was already entered incorrectly in the W-2 section of the program. Therefore, the income is double counted due to user error.

I say this, because as retired military myself, I am a bit familiar with the errors and mistakes new retirees make on their taxes when it comes to reporting the 1099-R retirement income.  Also, I wasn't exactly perfect either, in my first year of reporting my retirement income. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. 🙂

It is always possible it could have been user error.  However, I have used Turbotax for over 30 years and have been retired from the military for over 20.  The problem seems to be that Missouri started a new procedure for 2021 which deducts the retired amount from income and not deductions.  Turbotax deducted from both.  MO did not like double dipping.  I think Turbotax should have caught the new change.

Carl
Level 15

Thanks for the feedback. You did not mention this occurred on a state return. I was of the assumption the issue was with the federal return. You'd think after 20 years of service myself, I'd know better than to "assume" anything. 🙂 Being that my state of FL does not tax personal income, that's most likely why I didn't even consider the probability of this being a state tax issue.

I will complete the requirements for getting a refund of penalties and interest from Turbotax.  I am waiting for the final resolution with the state of Missouri. 

However, I am disappointed with the software error Turbotax made in completing my Missouri tax.  I have used the program for over 30 years and have been very happy with the results.  This was the first time I have ever had a problem.  I just want more attention applied to state taxes so I do not have this occur again.

After 4 1/2 months I finally received a check from MO Department Of Revenue for the money they owed me from my 2021 state tax return.  It was for the total amount I had originally computed using Turbo Tax plus interest.  There was no apology for their error or the hours I spent in correcting their error.  Not surprised.

Thanks Turbo Tax for your assistance and your CPA (Melanie) and Amanda R. in resolving this problem!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies