turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Why isn't Turbo tax allowing me to divide my covid withdrawal over 3 years?

If you haven't already, you need to delete the 1099R and re-enter.   If you are using  TurboTax online, make sure to indicate in the screen following the 1099R input in the first box that it is a Covid-19 Distribution.  This will open up the Covid distribution screens to select the you repayment options.

If you are using TurboTax desktop, make sure you have loaded all the updates.  In the top margin select "Online" then "Check for updates".  If your software is up to date, you will need to delete the 1099R and then re-enter.  In the screens that follow the entry screen you will be asked if this is a Covid distribution.  Answer yes then select your repayment options.  You can also go to "Forms" mode in the upper right hand corner to see the 1099R elections by scrolling down the select 1099R form.

moslehpour
Returning Member

How can we delay the tax for this?

@moslehpour wrote:

How can we delay the tax for this?

What do you mean?   The form is currently in all versions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
merch87
Returning Member

I have deleted my 1099-R, and entered it again, but the online system does not ask if I want to spread tax over 3 years.  How do I get this question to come up?

@merch87 wrote:

I have deleted my 1099-R, and entered it again, but the online system does not ask if I want to spread tax over 3 years.  How do I get this question to come up?

What code is in box 7?   What type of retirement plan is the distribution from?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
merch87
Returning Member

Code 1

@merch87 wrote:

Code 1

Are you using the online or CD/download version?

If CD/download then your software is probably not up to date.

If online then the question should be there.

merch87
Returning Member

I'm using the online version.  I've deleted and then added the 1099-R, at least 4 times, with same result.  It asks all questions except the one to split over 3 years.  I would start over, but online will not let me at this point.  I may try a different software.

I just tried it with the online version - here are the results.  What are you doing that is different?

The box should not be checked to spread over 3 years.  Preview the 1040 to see that line 5b is 1/3 of line 5a.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.01.49 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.02.21 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.02.29 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.02.37 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.02.44 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.02.52 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-05-06 at 7.09.31 PM_edited-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.19.22 AM.jpg

merch87
Returning Member

The box to ask if I want to pay all the tax this year does not come up, and the form box is checked.  I have deleted the 1099-R at least 3 times now, with same result.  All other boxes are as displayed.

@merch87 wrote:

, and the form box is checked.  I

What do you mean "the form box"?

Something must be different of you would get the same result.  Is something different on the 1099-R screen?

merch87
Returning Member

I did another test myself, but added the 1099 for myself, and the question came up, but when I complete for my wife's 1099, the question does not come up, and there are separate 8915-E forms.  I need to reset her 8915, but the does not seem to be doing this.  It also will not let me start over, at this point.

The 8915-E form box to repay taxes this year is checked on my wife's form, and will not reset...

Ate you using the CD/download desktop version or online version?

merch87
Returning Member

Online version.  It seems that it does not reset the form.  Seems to be a system error.

Try deleting the 1099-R and the 8915E form for the spouse this way.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

If that does not help contact customer support to look at it.

There is no single published number because it changes contently depending on the nature of the call and agent availability. Following the link below will either give a current number for you to call or take your number for a callback.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies