loo1995

Why is there a discrepancy between the amount entered for Social Security income and the amount shown on line 20a?

In entering the Social Security Income for myself and my spouse, the total amount entered is $29,956; however, the amount shown on line 20a (Social Security income) is $59,952.  Why is there a discrepancy?

You entered it twice.

You entered it twice.

loo1995

Thx for your response; however, I reviewed my calculations and the info was not entered twice
SteamTrain

1)  What were the individual box 5 $$ amounts for each of you...we can test them.
2) ...did you enter any lump-sum SS payments received in 2017 but for a prior yea/?
3)  .....Do you happen to have an RRB-1099 form too?
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
loo1995

thx for your assistance.  I rechecked the box 5 amounts for my wife and myself and then went to 1040 box 20 and it still showed double the amount  of the two box 5 amounts....
SteamTrain

Like I asked, what were the two amounts ?