turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jskauf

Why is the entire amount of my federal retirement pension being excluded on my New York state return?

I believe that New York state only allow the exclusion of the federal pension amount that represents a return of prior contributions. In addition it allows deduction of up to $20,000 of retirement income. The taxable amount of my federal pension in box 2a should be taxable in New York also.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Why is the entire amount of my federal retirement pension being excluded on my New York state return?

The entire amount of your federal retirement is excluded from NY tax.  See page 11 of New York Publication 36 and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance link.

"Qualified pension benefits or distributions received by officers and employees of the United States, New York State, and local governments within New York State, are exempt from New York State, New York City, and Yonkers income taxes."

" This subtraction modification is allowed regardless of the age of the taxpayer or of the form the payment(s) take. 11 Publication 36 (3/15) This subtraction modification is allowed for a pension or distribution amount (to the extent the pension or other distribution was included in your federal adjusted gross income), including a distribution from a pension plan which represents a return of contribution in a year prior to retirement, as an officer, employee, or beneficiary of an officer or an employee of: • The United States, its territories, possessions(or political subdivisions thereof), or any agency, instrumentality of the United States (including the military), or the District of Columbia."

I can see where the wording above can be confusing when it says "including a distribution from a pension plan which represents a return of contribution...." but the fact remains that your federal pension isn't taxable in NY. The link above says it more clearly:

Information for retired persons 
Pension and annuity income

Your pension income is not taxable in New York State when it is paid by:

• New York State or local government
  • the federal government, including Social Security benefits
  • certain public authorities
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

The entire amount of your federal retirement is excluded from NY tax.  See page 11 of New York Publication 36 and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance link.

"Qualified pension benefits or distributions received by officers and employees of the United States, New York State, and local governments within New York State, are exempt from New York State, New York City, and Yonkers income taxes."

" This subtraction modification is allowed regardless of the age of the taxpayer or of the form the payment(s) take. 11 Publication 36 (3/15) This subtraction modification is allowed for a pension or distribution amount (to the extent the pension or other distribution was included in your federal adjusted gross income), including a distribution from a pension plan which represents a return of contribution in a year prior to retirement, as an officer, employee, or beneficiary of an officer or an employee of: • The United States, its territories, possessions(or political subdivisions thereof), or any agency, instrumentality of the United States (including the military), or the District of Columbia."

I can see where the wording above can be confusing when it says "including a distribution from a pension plan which represents a return of contribution...." but the fact remains that your federal pension isn't taxable in NY. The link above says it more clearly:

Information for retired persons 
Pension and annuity income

Your pension income is not taxable in New York State when it is paid by:

• New York State or local government
  • the federal government, including Social Security benefits
  • certain public authorities
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't think this is correct. The NY State publication referred to says only income derived from the Optional Retirement Program (see below). The City University sends out a letter which tells which of my various plans qualify. My supplementary retirement plans do not  qualify according to their letter. How do I distinguish them in TurboTax?

• New York State including, the State and City Universities of New York and the New York State Education Department, who belongs to the Optional Retirement Program. (Note: Optional Retirement Program members may only subtract that portion attributable to employment with the State or City University of New York or the New York State Education Department.)

hopemorr

I understand that but its not coming out automatically from Federal.  And they're including an additional $20,000 pension deduction which should only apply for non-governmental pensions.  I can remove this even though ive entered the amount of my government pension on the state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies