Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is adjusted gross income coming up as $0 ? Review finds unacceptable. Unable to efile. Says 1040 lines 9, 11, 16, 18, 21, 24, and 33 are zed. No W2, just 1099.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Why is adjusted gross income coming up as $0 ? Review finds unacceptable. Unable to efile. Says 1040 lines 9, 11, 16, 18, 21, 24, and 33 are zed. No W2, just 1099.

Ftr, if I send it in the way it is now, even snail mail, it will still get rejected due to whatever TurboTax is doing to my input.

Sans just filling out a typical 1040 and whatever state myself--have mercy--I'd like to know what's wrong here. Otherwise, that really is my only option.

You cannot efile a zero return unless it is to get a refundable credit like the stimulus credit. What kind if income do you have ?   Do you have a Sch C with no net income?  If so enter in $1 of bank interest and/or leave $1 of Sch C income as a profit.  

Profit or Loss from Business Form? Not sure how that would help. I'll look into.

Ftr, disability related income. 2020, first full year of. No income previous years--except not enough 2019, and therefore didn't have to and wasn't forced to file, it wouldn't have helped anyway--due personal injury and condition.

I entered full 1099 info when prompted, and after deduction(s), etc, says Adjusted Gross is $0. Even at max, math is entirely wrong, unless there are qualifiers I don't know about. Or something SSA related. NOTE: I do seem to recall something about it not being considered SSDI though, I can't remember exactly why, but it had to do with backpay.

Also, crazy 1099 lumped in backpay with net benefits for Line 5, so I did not separate it out to add as "separate lump sum for previous year(s)" like TurboTax might suggest and I might figure to do: simply because the paper says so. When in doubt, I do what the paper or government says to do.

TL;DR 
Disability-based SSA income. INC > Deduc = Adusted Gross wrong? TTax math looks bad. Just doing what 1099 tells me to.

I keep answering all questions and get that it's going through and then I'm told with 0 gross income that I'm not eligible to efile. 

What am I doing wrong?

How can I fix it?

I put my Social Security received as my income.

@DedicatedWriter wrote:

I keep answering all questions and get that it's going through and then I'm told with 0 gross income that I'm not eligible to efile. 

What am I doing wrong?

How can I fix it?

If the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

If you want to file for some reason you can enter $1 of interest income to let you efile.  Make a fake 1099Int

Enter a 1099-Int  under

Federal Taxes tab

Wages & Income

Interest and Dividends

Interest on 1099INT - Click the Start, Revisit Or Update button

put $1 in box 1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies