turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does data source does not work in form 8949?

should data sorce work in form 8949?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You have two options. Since you're familiar with Forms, this is probably your best choice.

1. In the forms list on the left, find Form 1009-B Wks for this sale (the brokerage or description you used will appear in parentheses). Open the Cap Asset Sales form that is listed under this worksheet.
  2. The basis you entered will be in the Quick Entry Table in a blue font - you can change any number in blue.
  3. Make your change.
  4. Now open Form 8949 to confirm the result is as expected.

Your second option is to return to the Step-by-Step topic where you entered this sale.

1. The easiest way to find this section is to use the Search box in the upper right corner of the TurboTax header.
  2. Type in "1099-b" and hit Enter. Click on "jump to 1099-b" to go directly to that topic.
  3. This will bring up a list of all investment sales you have entered.
  4. Click on "Edit" beside the sale you need to review and follow the prompts.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Please clarify for which line number you are trying to access for Data Source on Form 8949.

Form 8949, Part II (Long Term), Box E is checked [basis not reported to IRS], Line 1, Column (e) [Cost or other basis).  Because the basis of stock that I sold was not reported to the IRS by the brokerage firm (it was purchased before they started doing that), I entered the basis somewhere in TurboTax. I don't remember where.  The basis that I entered was automatically put in that Column (e).  I made a mistake and entered the wrong basis figure, so I need to correct my error it.  A lot of $$$ are involved. Right clicking on the incorrect figure, takes one to window that includes Data Source, but when I click on Data Source, nothing happens.  It should take me to the place in TurboTax where I entered the incorrect figure so that I can fix it there.  I cannot just overwrite the incorrect figure in Column (e) because one cannot electronically file a return that contains overwrites.  Today I spend over an hour on the telephone with TurboTax tech support.  The man was very nice, but he did not know how to fix the problem.  It should be a very simple question: Why does clicking on Data Source not work the way that it should? When he put me on hold for about the fifth time, he apparently disconnected the call and did not call me back.  This is  a MAJOR PROBLEM.  I need to know how to fix it. PLEASE HELP ME!

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You have two options. Since you're familiar with Forms, this is probably your best choice.

1. In the forms list on the left, find Form 1009-B Wks for this sale (the brokerage or description you used will appear in parentheses). Open the Cap Asset Sales form that is listed under this worksheet.
  2. The basis you entered will be in the Quick Entry Table in a blue font - you can change any number in blue.
  3. Make your change.
  4. Now open Form 8949 to confirm the result is as expected.

Your second option is to return to the Step-by-Step topic where you entered this sale.

1. The easiest way to find this section is to use the Search box in the upper right corner of the TurboTax header.
  2. Type in "1099-b" and hit Enter. Click on "jump to 1099-b" to go directly to that topic.
  3. This will bring up a list of all investment sales you have entered.
  4. Click on "Edit" beside the sale you need to review and follow the prompts.

Patricia - Excellent answer!  I was going down the wrong track trying to use Data Source to get to where I had entered the basis figure that flowed into Form 8949.  Neither I nor TurboTax tech support on the telephone thought to go through Form 1009-B Wks to get there.  I did not recognize that Form 1009.  I had been looking for a Form 1099.  Many, many thanks!  Paul

BTW, I am a very long-time, heavy user of TurboTax and a great fan of it.  It improves every year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies