Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am retired but my company pays my retirement per a 1099-Misc. How do I avoid looking like I am still employed?

I was an independent contractor for an insurance company and I have been retired for 15 years.  My retirement income is part of my contract but is given me as "miscellaneous income".  In the past, I have been able to go into forms and change something to show that this income is NOT related to any business.  It is RETIREMENT INCOME.  I am using Turbo Tax Premier as I do rent out a time-share every year.  Is this the wrong product for me?  I saw that conclusion in looking through the community search.

Every year this is an issue for me.  I should have printed out the form that I had corrected to show that this is NOT income from any job . . . it is retirement income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I am retired but my company pays my retirement per a 1099-Misc. How do I avoid looking like I am still employed?

Enter it this way:

Federal Taxes > Wages & Income > Other Common Income > Income from Form1099-MISC > Update 

Edit > Continue (if all your information is there and the income is in box 3)

Type description, if necessary

Continue > Check None apply

No it did not involve work

Select got it in 2017 

No it didn't involve an intent to earn money

Finish

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AnthonyJ

Which box on the 1099-MISC shows the amount paid?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is Box 3 (Other Income)
AnthonyJ

No worries.  The instructions listed in the answer below by TomD8 will help in resolving this issue.
TomD8
Level 15

Enter it this way:

Federal Taxes > Wages & Income > Other Common Income > Income from Form1099-MISC > Update 

Edit > Continue (if all your information is there and the income is in box 3)

Type description, if necessary

Continue > Check None apply

No it did not involve work

Select got it in 2017 

No it didn't involve an intent to earn money

Finish

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Select got it in 2017. Do NOT select that you intent to get it in 2018.   Lying to TurboTax to get it to do what you want does not constitute lying to the IRS

I thought that was the way I did it but I started over and my taxes went from $6000 (rounded) to $400 (rounded) which is more like I am used to.  Thank you so much.
Hal_Al
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies