Make sure you indicate that this is for your spouse. See the screenshot below.
Any SSA-1099 form, regardless of the suffix, gets entered the same way:
- Open your tax return in TurboTax online.(To do this, sign in to TurboTax, see your Tax Timeline, and click ‘Take me to my return.’)
- Using the Search feature in the upper right corner of the screen, enter SSA-1099 and perform the search. Then click on Jump to SSA-1099, which is the first item in the search results.
- Select Yes, let's work on Social Security benefits and click Continue.
- Check the first box, Form SSA-1099.
- Enter the amounts for yourself and your jointly-filing spouse, if they received an SSA-1099 also.
- SSA-1099s for children and other dependents are not reported on your return. They should report it on their own return, but only if they're required to file a return for some other reason (this is uncommon).
- Click Continue.
TurboTax will automatically calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable.