turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

leo140

Where do I enter overpaid 401K disbursement check Info with taxes taken on TurboTax Premier 2018?

I received a disbursement check for overpaid 401K contribution with Federal and State Income Taxes taken. Where do I enter info about this disbursement check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Where do I enter overpaid 401K disbursement check Info with taxes taken on TurboTax Premier 2018?

Did you receive any kind of a tax document along with the refund check?   If your 401K contribution was overpaid, make sure that your W-2 is correct.   Assuming it is (and that you've picked up the correct income amounts - noting that Box 12a shows the correct amount of your contribution under Code D) and assuming that you did not receive any documentation other than the check (e.g., Form 1099-R, 1099, etc)  you need not pick up the disbursement check for the overpayment amount - as this is not additional income for you if it's already reflected in the W-2.   However, if additional withholding taxes were taken, you'll want to pick up these amounts that sound like they are in excess of the wh amounts reported on your W-2, so that you get credit for them.   I would pick them up by overriding the amounts shown on the W-2 for federal/state withholdings.   You may end up getting a tax notice, but this should be easily explained, along with inclusion of the proper documentation.  Sorry, I couldn't find any other likely spot to report the excess withholding taxes taken!   If you did receive a tax document along with the disbursement check (unlikely!) that might change the way you report it.
leo140

My W2 form does not reflect 401K distribution check. I wouldn't want to just modify numbers on my current W2 and then give some explanations to IRS why I had to do it. I hope there is a place in  TurboTax where I can enter just disburse amount and Federal and State taxes taken.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies