turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter my FSA contribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Shaundra

FSAs are usually funded through voluntary salary reduction agreements with your employer. No employment or federal income taxes are deducted from your contribution. The employer may also contribute.

Note: Unlike HSAs or Archer MSAs which must be reported on your Form 1040, there are no reporting requirements for FSAs on your income tax return.

Also. you cannot deduct qualified medical expenses as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040) if they were paid with pre-tax dollars from an FSA.

If you have any unused amounts in your FSA, that amount is forfeited, and since you already got a deduction, you cannot deduct the loss.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Do NOT enter any amounts from Code W in Box 12 of your W-2; Those are only entered when you put in your W-2 information. Did you make any additional contributions beyond that? What proof of payment do you have? ...

none
Shaundra

FSAs are usually funded through voluntary salary reduction agreements with your employer. No employment or federal income taxes are deducted from your contribution. The employer may also contribute.

Note: Unlike HSAs or Archer MSAs which must be reported on your Form 1040, there are no reporting requirements for FSAs on your income tax return.

Also. you cannot deduct qualified medical expenses as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040) if they were paid with pre-tax dollars from an FSA.

If you have any unused amounts in your FSA, that amount is forfeited, and since you already got a deduction, you cannot deduct the loss.

That is really helpful, and more in-depth than the other answers I've seen.  I think a lot of us were confused because TurboTax's help popup (linked from the HSA deductions page) said it would ask about our FSA later, but it did not.
bcmorgan-

Yes I agree with that!! I was thinking I was going to have to enter the information somewhere else too!!

Still 2015 taxes are stating the same thing and never address the fsa

Hi,  could you please clear my wonder?
If I spend all the money in my FSA account on child care, then what's the difference between getting the tax credit from contributing to a FSA and getting tax refund from the annual IRS tax report? Both ways I can get some tax credit, then what's the advantage of having the FSA? Will I get more tax credit by having FSA versus tax report?

Do you have a link to that as a fact from I r s?

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

Please refer to this IRS link for additional information. Start reading the information starting on page 16 of the link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kerilynn

You mentioned that you cannot report any medical expenses that were paid by the FSA funds.  How are those expenses reported then, do you know?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You do not report them.  You already got the tax benefit of the money not being taxed.

How do I input medical deduction if I exceeded my FSA account?

jabq

So if my fsa contribution is not taxed federally at time of paycheck with no deduction, but is included in my overall gross income, it is then taxed at tax return time?  is that what  I understand?  

MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

@jabq

Your contribution to a FSA is not taxed at tax return time. It is untaxed money which can be used to pay for your out-of-pocket medical expenses. It is not taxed but you may lose the unspent portion of your FSA.

Please this TurboTax article for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies