Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter Box 3 and Box 4 of form SSA-1099? I have a negative amount that Turbo Tax won't recognize for Box 5.

I was overpaid by Social Security and I am making payments, I have no place to put Box 3 or Box 4, these 2 boxes end up being a negative and Turbo Tax is not recognizing a negative number in Box 5.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter Box 3 and Box 4 of form SSA-1099? I have a negative amount that Turbo Tax won't recognize for Box 5.

When you enter your Form SSA-1099, you only enter the amounts that the TurboTax screen asks for. That is the amounts from boxes 5 and 6, and any Medicare premiums shown in the description box on the left side. The amount you repaid is in box 4, which you do not enter in TurboTax. The repayment has already been subtracted from the net amount of benefits in box 5.

If the sum of the box 5 amounts on all your SSA-1099 forms, and your spouse's SSA-1099 forms if filing jointly, is negative, and part or all of the amount you repaid was for benefits that you reported as income in an earlier year, see "Repayment of benefits received in an earlier year" in IRS Publication 915 . The instructions to enter your deduction is shown below.

Enter the amount in box 5 of your SSA-1099 as a miscellaneous deduction on Schedule A by following these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits  [In TT Home & Biz:  Personal > Deductions & Credits > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. Scroll down to the Other Deductions and Credits section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Other Deductible Expenses. 
  3. On the Less Common Expenses screen-- 
    • If the repayment was $3,000 or less:  
    • Click the Yes box. 
    • Enter the amount on the Enter More Expenses screen
  • If the repayment was more than $3,000:
    • Click the No box.  
    • On the Any Other Deductions screen, click the Yes box.
    • On Report Other Deductions, enter the amount in the box Claim of Right Repayment (Only If Over $3,000). 
    • Click Continue. 
    message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies