turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax not correctly calculate the maximum solo 401k contribution if you also have a W-2 employer 401k?

I'm looking at either a SEP IRA or a solo 401k plan to reduce taxes on the income I get from my single-member LLC side business (I also am a W-2 employee of a different company).   I already max out my 401k contributions at my W-2 employer.  Because the maximum employee contribution is aggregated across all 401k plans, I believe that for a solo 401k the only contribution I could make is the employer profit sharing amount, which would be the same as the maximum SEP IRA contribution (roughly 20% of the single member LLC income).  However, when I run the numbers in TurboTax and select "maximize contribution" it says that for 2018 my max contribution to a solo 401k would have been substantially higher than the SEP IRA amount.  It looks like it is ignoring the fact that I contribute to another 401k.  Does TurboTax not correctly calculate the maximum solo 401k contribution if you have a separate W-2 employer 401k?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Does TurboTax not correctly calculate the maximum solo 401k contribution if you also have a W-2 employer 401k?

You are correct, this is an unsupported calculation.  Since you've already made the maximum permissible elective deferrals at your W-2 employer, you can only make an employer contribution to the solo 401(k).  To allow TurboTax to calculate only the maximum permissible employer contribution you must select the Maximize box for either a Profit Sharing Keogh or a SEP contribution.  The result will be the same as for an employer-only contribution to the solo 401(k).

View solution in original post

36 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

You are correct, this is an unsupported calculation.  Since you've already made the maximum permissible elective deferrals at your W-2 employer, you can only make an employer contribution to the solo 401(k).  To allow TurboTax to calculate only the maximum permissible employer contribution you must select the Maximize box for either a Profit Sharing Keogh or a SEP contribution.  The result will be the same as for an employer-only contribution to the solo 401(k).

JP21

Where can I select Max box for only the Profit Sharing Keith or a SEP contribution?  I only have one box that is maximize the 401K contribution.
JP21

I found it.  Never mind.  Once I select that I want to contribute SEP or Profit Sharing Keogh, it allows me to maximize them.
dmertz
Level 15

Yup, that's it.
JimmeMcVid
Returning Member

Where does TT show the calculations for the 401(k) allotment so I can check its work and see what exact amount I need to contribute to each part of the 401(k)? 

In my case: 

W2 company plan has 401(k). I contributed $9K

1099 self-employment business therefore has $10500 left for elective deferral

BUT, I can also contribute up to 25% of compensation for employer nonelective contribution. 

When I click calculate MAX, TT says the total I can contribute for self-employment 401(k) is $28K.  So I need to know what exact amount is elective deferral and what amount is for that 25% (employer nonelective contribution). 

Thanks for any help. 

dmertz
Level 15

The calculation is done on the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contribution Worksheet.  Use the Maximize function for a SEP or Keogh Profit Sharing contribution to have TurboTax calculate the maximum employer contribution.

The maximum employer contribution is not 25% of your net profit from self-employment.  The maximum employer contribution to a self-employed retirement plan is 20% of net earnings from self-employment.  Net earnings from self-employment are net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.

JimmeMcVid
Returning Member

Ok, I will use the equation on this IRS page to calculate who much I can contribute to the solo 401(k) beyond the basic elective deferral. 

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/self-employed-individuals-calculating-your-own-retirement-plan-...

Hi @dmertz 

I have a similar question. I am over 55.

With my employer, I was able to put 12.2K in my 401K - as reported on my w-2

But then I started a consulting business, and also opened a i401K.

When I click Maximize deductions, TurboTax comes up with a number of $33K that I can contribute. And Looking at the worksheet - I cannot see how it is computing that. Also It doesn't to seem to change when I change the value of 12.2K from my W-2.

So I computed the numbers manually using the worksheet from the irs. 
So the question is - Can I contribute 19,500 - 12,200 (from my w-2), + 6500 (catchup) + Employer Contribution (from my personal business)

Thaks

And the follow-up is - When will TurboTax fix this BUG

JimmeMcVid
Returning Member

You seem to be getting the same problem I'm getting from TT. TT should be able to calculate our contribution amounts itself. 

Why do I now have to go to the IRS website and figure it out myself??? 

dmertz
Level 15

jun_jazz, yes, that's the correct calculation.

TurboTax considers this to be an unsupported calculation rather than a bug.  It's on TurboTax's list of unsupported calculations (Other Deductions and Adjustments #6):

https://digitalasset.intuit.com/DOCUMENT/A5LpvlbgD/Unsupported_calcs_2020.pdf

JimmeMcVid
Returning Member

Ok, so I went to see where TT made the MAX 401(k) calculation - the Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contribution Worksheet. (it's confusing because the title should also say "individual 401(k)". 

I see now how it came up with $28821 in my case.  (part V line 1)   

That's the "Total maximum allowable deduction" ** not including defined benefit plan contribution**.  So I guess that means it does not include the elective deferrals I made to both my employer 401(k) and my individual 401(k) ?

So, since $19,500 - my employer salary deferral 401(k) contribution = $9816 , that's what I'll put for my solo 401(k) elective deferral.  And then for my deductible profit-sharing contribution, I can put $28821 or less???

Am I doing this right 🙂 

JimmeMcVid
Returning Member

I think what's important to remember is that we as self-employed individuals can make a ELECTIVE (SALARY) DEFERRAL to our 401(k) not to exceed $19500 (including what you gave to W2 401(k).  ** AND**. you can ALSO contribute a deductible portion as a profit-sharing part of your 401(k). So, in my case, it looks like that's an additional $28K. 

JimmeMcVid
Returning Member

Hm. But now I did the calculations on this IRS page for "plan contributions" and I get a much lower number: $7761.51.  

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/self-employed-individuals-calculating-your-own-retirement-plan-...

That's a big difference from $28K.  

I'm confused. 

Now I'm back to thinking TurboTax has a bug here.  First, it's not taking into account the W2 401(k) elective deferral I made. That should be easy to read. 

Plus, its Keogh/SEP worksheet may still not be calculating the right amount I can contributed to my individual 401(k) BEYOND the individual 401(k) elective deferral. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies