Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmkeeney7

When I pulled my retirement early, about %20 was taken off the top. I don't understand why another %10 is now being taken off when filing taxes. Any ideas?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I pulled my retirement early, about %20 was taken off the top. I don't understand why another %10 is now being taken off when filing taxes. Any ideas?

If you took an early retirement withdraw, it is subject to both regular income taxes and a 10% penalty.  So, depending on how much your withdraw was and how much other income you have, this 20% may have just covered your regular income tax liability and not your 10% penalty on early withdraw.  

If you took the distribution to cover medical expenses or other qualified early withdraw reasons, be sure you go all the way through the interview section after you enter your 1099-R and answer the ALL of the questions related to waiver of penalty for early withdraw.  

If you have already left this section, you can go back and re-answer the questions. You can do this by 

1. Click Federal 
  2. Income and Expenses
  3. Scroll down and click revisit next to IRA, 401k, Pension Plan Withdrawals
  4. Click continue and go back through all of the questions and answers for the retirement section. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you took an early retirement withdraw, it is subject to both regular income taxes and a 10% penalty.  So, depending on how much your withdraw was and how much other income you have, this 20% may have just covered your regular income tax liability and not your 10% penalty on early withdraw.  

If you took the distribution to cover medical expenses or other qualified early withdraw reasons, be sure you go all the way through the interview section after you enter your 1099-R and answer the ALL of the questions related to waiver of penalty for early withdraw.  

If you have already left this section, you can go back and re-answer the questions. You can do this by 

1. Click Federal 
  2. Income and Expenses
  3. Scroll down and click revisit next to IRA, 401k, Pension Plan Withdrawals
  4. Click continue and go back through all of the questions and answers for the retirement section. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies