turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mymeannie

When I flied my taxes I spoke with the worked about me filing my 1099-C forms & using the tax form 982 to cancel this amount. She said she could not so this for me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

When I flied my taxes I spoke with the worked about me filing my 1099-C forms & using the tax form 982 to cancel this amount. She said she could not so this for me.

What kind of debt was the 1099-C for? Did you declare Bankruptcy or Insolvency that year? Those two conditions cover most cases where a person can use 982 on a 2018 return, and You have to establish if either applies using your own records. 

See https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-982 

NB: Main home debt Was a reason to use 982 in prior years, but Not for 2018 returns ...

Carl
Level 15

If you have a 1099-C from a foreclosure and/or bankruptcy, TurboTax can not address your situation. You *NEED* to seek professional help for this, as no two bankruptcies or foreclosures are the same. The IRS has strict guidelines on this. So professional help is not a choice - it's a must unless you have no problem with paying taxes on the cancelled debt, or if you know for a fact you do not qualify for the forgiveness on the taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies