Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sarmor
Returning Member

What triggers pension deduction worksheet?

For State Return (MICHIGAN), I get an error saying “Federal Amount must be entered” on the Pension Deduction Worksheet.  How did this get triggered and what is it?  I did some Roth conversions. Is that what this is?  What happens if I ignore?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Sarmor
Returning Member

Hi,

I think I figured it out.

I think it is how I had answered "Where is this distribution from" in the IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) section.

Select the source of this distribution and enter any other Michigan information. 

Military pension

Qualified government or public pension

Current year conversion from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA

Other qualified IRA distributions and private-source pensions

Pension/IRA distributions received before retirement age / None of the above

At one point, I had selected "Pension/IRA distributions received before retirement age / None of the above" b/c I had thought the "None of the above" applied to my situation.  I had later changed it to "Other qualified IRA distributions and private-source pensions" b/c I thought it was a better answer.  I guess Turbo never updated and now thinks I distributed from a pension.

Anyway, what is the best way to answer this question if the distribution was basically for a Roth distribution as a recharacterization?  Did I pick the right one: "Other qualified IRA distributions and private-source pensions"?

Yes, Other qualified IRA distributions and private-source pensions is the correct answer to the question if the distribution was for Roth as a recharacterization.

But what if the distribution was simply from a Roth account?  There was no recharacterization involved at any point.  I'm still not sure which is the correct source to indicate.  I'm inclined to see whether I can just leave them all unchecked, because I don't think that ANY of them apply.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Is there an option that says "None of these apply"?   If not, you should be able to leave it blank if none of the options are correct.    You will know whether that works once you continue without marking one.   It will either not let you continue until you select one or during the review of the state return it will come up with an error and will need to be fixed.    If that is the case, then chose the one that best fits the situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies