Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the tax treatment of us treasury securities help in a mutual fund or eft

I can look at their prospectus and get a percentage of holdings by quarter,  Can I just multiply this by the interest from the fund?  When I get to my state taxes (Michigan) will turbo tax have a place to gather and use this information.  I found an answer but it had some california specific informations
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

What is the tax treatment of us treasury securities help in a mutual fund or eft

If you own your mutual fund/ETF in a taxable account and are paid interest, you will receive a Form 1099-INT at year's end.  Interest you receive from U.S. Savings Bonds and Treasury obligations will be reported in Box 3 of that form.  Just enter the form into the appropriate section of TurboTax.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099int.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

If you own your mutual fund/ETF in a taxable account and are paid interest, you will receive a Form 1099-INT at year's end.  Interest you receive from U.S. Savings Bonds and Treasury obligations will be reported in Box 3 of that form.  Just enter the form into the appropriate section of TurboTax.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099int.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you.  Unfortunately the consolidated 1099-int i get reports 0 in box 3. but I can estimate it based on the funds' prospecti   

Yes you have to figure out any US Govt Obligations dividends yourself. When you get the 1099 from the mutual fund company there should be a sheet giving the state percentages for each fund. But last year for 2022 Vanguard didn't include the sheet and I had to get it online from their website. You get the percent and multiply it by your dividend. Here's a sheet I made for Vanguard.

Vanguard US Govt Tax.jpg

Like here's the 2022 Tax Info for Vanguard.  They won't post 2023 until  later in January.
Vanguard U.S. government obligations income information
https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/USGOIN_2023.pdf

Vanguard Tax-exempt interest dividends by state
https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/INBST_2023.pdf

thank you.  great document - I did not get one like that from fidelity

You probably have to find it online at Fidelity.  Everything is going online these days.  

...ANNND...

I don't know about ETFs, but for Mutual Funds, the $$ are reported as a sub-part of the total $$ in box 1a of a 1099-DIV form .   Then you have to calculate yourself, the proper US Govt $$ amount based on all your holdings, the $$ reported for each of your holdings from the Consolidated 1099-B Supplemental forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies