turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld

Was my social security withheld not applied to my taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

Excess social security and Tier 1 RRTA tax withheld means that you overpaid on the amount of Social Security from your paychecks.  This usually occurs when you change jobs or work multiple jobs.  Look at box 3 from your W-2s.  If they add up to more than $132,900, then you overpaid and it will be credited to you on your tax return.  You will see it on  line 18 (d) if your return.

I don't know about RRTA tax but for excess Social Security.....Did you have 1 employer or more?

One Employer:

Try leaving the cents off box 4.

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,537.40.   So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

Or post back with the amounts in boxes 3&4.

I did not find this on line 18 on my 1040. Does Turbo Tax 2021 software include this module to apply for such excess social security refund? Thanks.  

Yes, If you paid excess Social Security Tax it will be automatically calculated.  You don't enter anything.  Just enter all your W2s.  If you had more than 1 employer and paid more than the max SS in box 4 you get it back.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.   For 2021 it will be on Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31.

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return. You have to pay any fees first before you can see all the forms, etc.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

And as for the prior answer above, line 18d is the wrong line for 2020.  That was the line for 2019.  It changed to line 31 in 2020 and 2021.

For 2021 the max for Social Security is $8,853.60 on $142,800 of wages.
For 2021 it will be on Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31.

Thanks. Do you know if I can import my H&R Block tax return from last year if I switch to TurboTax this year ? I am unable to confirm this for H&R and I rather switch. 

You might be able to transfer if you have the pdf file.  But the pdf only transfer you name and very basic info.

How to transfer into Turbo Tax Online, including from a pdf file or other software or from the Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

josephwb333
Returning Member

Does TurboTax calculate this automatically if you switched jobs during the year, but with the same employer? TurboTax is giving me the message 'You may be due a refund from your employer' and just telling me that I need to get a W-2c from my employer, but they won't provide that. 

Thanks

Yes Turbo Tax will if the EIN is different for each W2.  If it is the same EIN then you have to get the excess back from them.  I'll try to find IRS info so you can show them.  

josephwb333
Returning Member

Thank you. EIN is the same, but my employer has said that they won't give me the excess back, I need to get back from IRS when I file my taxes. They have provided a letter confirming overpayment that I can 'use as proof', but I'm completely lost as to how I actually claim the overpayment so I can be reimbursed. 

If you got 2 W2s from the same employer with the same EIN on them you have to get the excess ss back from the employer.

See 1040 Instructions page 103 for line 11
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

It says……
But if any one employer withheld more than $8,853.60, you can't claim the excess on your return. The employer should adjust the tax for you. If the employer doesn't adjust the overcollection, you can file a claim for refund using Form 843.

josephwb333
Returning Member

thanks so much!

Webby638

I worked for two employers and thus had an excess of social security removed for 2021.  This amount does show on Line 31 of my 1040 return, which I e-filed last night.  

How do I get the refund for this sum, though?  Does the IRS observe that line and issue me a check? Do they notify the Social Security Administration and they send a check? Do I need to send in an additional form separately?    Thank you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies