michael_jones54

What is distribution code "G" in box 7 on 1099-R?

On the 1099-R form, do I pay taxes on the Gross distribution, the taxable amount is $0.00?

rjs

Distribution code G is a direct (trustee to trustee) rollover. You do not pay any tax on it. The gross distribution will be included on Form 1040 line 15a or Form 1040A line 11a, but nothing will be added to line 15b or 11b, which is the taxable amount.

dmertz
Intuit Approved!

The previous answers pertain to Form 1040 for years prior to 2018.  For a 2018 or 2019 Form 1040, refer to lines 4a/b instead of lines 15a/b.

A rollover from a 401(k) should appear on 2019 Form 1040 line 4c/d.  If the rollover is nontaxable it should be included on line 4c and not on line 4d,  If the rollover is taxable because it was from a traditional account in a 401(k) to a Roth IRA, the taxable amount should appear on line 4d.  With regard to rollovers, only the taxable amount of a rollover to a Roth account adds to you AGI.

Distributions from a 401(k) are to be entered into TurboTax by entering the From 1099-R reporting the distribution from the 401(k) and answering the follow-up questions.

michael_jones54

I have two 1099-R forms.  I did not accept any money from them.  I rolled it over to my Fidelity account without taking any money.  Do I pay taxes of the Gross distribution (box 1), even though the taxable amount in box (2a) is $0.00?
rjs

wangchungtonight

On my 1099-R, I have code G in box 7 AND an amount equal to the gross distribution (line 1) inserted in line 2a. The Payer assures me the distribution was made to a qualified plan. I strongly believe this is a non-taxable yet Turbo Tax is treating the data I entered with a full tax hit. Should I set the taxable amount to zero?
rjs

wangchungtonight,

The payer filled out the 1099-R incorrectly. The IRS instructions for Form 1099-R clearly say to enter zero in box 2a for a direct rollover. Your best course of action would be to ask the payer to issue a corrected 1099-R. If they refuse, then I suppose you could just enter 0 in box 2a, as if the 1099-R had been filled out correctly. If you do that, you might get an inquiry from the IRS later on. Keep detailed records of your contacts with the payer on this issue. If an initial phone contact is not successful, it would probably be a good idea to make your request in writing, with a return receipt, and keep a copy of your letter and any response that you get.
kschoon

Thank you so much, super user!  I actually got a form 1099-R and turbotax is asking me questions that are not on the 1099-R.  Do you think I need to complete a 1099-G.
kschoon

Answer:   I received a 1099-R instead of G.  I can't complete it like the IRS wants me to.  Guess a phone call in the a.m. will be in order.  Oh my gosh it is ALREADY morning.  I should have fallen off my chair by now.  Good luck with this.
Nirudo

My 1040 does not have line 15a.  I do have line 4a, where I entered a 401K to IRA rollover amount.  I am not sure how AGI on line 7 is calculated? It seems way high, and my Medicare premium is based on the AGI.  Does the direct rolled over amount become part of AGI?

dmertz
Intuit Approved!

Nirudo

@dmertz Thanks.  

sonzoil

I received a 1099-R , Code G from a 503B plan.  The money was rolled over into an IRA automatically.  I do have to report this in the turbo tax software for the 1040, correct? 

dmertz

Yes, the Form 1099-R must be entered into TurboTax.  The box 1 amount will appear on Form 1040 line 5a but the zero amount in box 2a means that none of this will be included in the taxable amount on line 5b.