greg-courts

What if I didn't get a 1099r but I know the gross distribution and Federal Taxes withheld

jtax

It is best to ask for the 1099-Rs and wait until you get them to file. (Be sure to file an extension before 4/17/17 though. Then you have until October to file.)

Alternatively you can file a Form 4852 to report a missing 1099-R or W2. However, If you get the amount wrong, you may need or want to filed an amended return later and while that isn't hard, its another thing to do. This is the IRS page on what to do if you don't get a W2 or 1099-R

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc154.html

If you had a distribution from a tax deferred retirement account in 2016 the the administrator of the account is required to send you a Form 1099-R.  Contact the administrator of the account and request a Form 1099-R.  The account may also have the form available on their website.
greg-courts

Thank you so much....so, the distribution came from a 401k plan and rolled over to an IRA, then distributed from the IRA with a week. I should have expected the 1099r from the 401k administrator vs the rollover IRA account held at another financial firm?

Then you should have two Form 1099-R's.  One from the administrator of the 401(k) for the rollover to the IRA.  The second from the administrator of the IRA for the distribution.
jtax