We received back payment in Nov. 2016 from Soc. Security for my son. The SSA1099 for 2016 and 2017 did not reflect this one time pymt. Does that mean it is not taxable?

The lump sum payment was for the disability I filed for my son that took them 1 1/2 years to process. I filed the SSA 1099 that I received on his behalf but it did not reflect the one time payment. Do I even need to claim my son's income? If I do claim it will it put me in a higher tax bracket? 

No, if the payment is in your son's name and Social Security number, you do not include it on your tax return.