delanopailin

Using this for the first time. I'm retired and want to enter my Social Security 1099 data and finish filing.

Try going to the search box and type in SSA-1099 or Social Security Benefits.  That will give you a Jump To link to take you directly to it.

OR

Enter a SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM or RRB-1099  under

Federal Taxes on the left side or top

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

Then the second line - Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Revisit  button

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.

However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099