turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aces5152
Returning Member

Can anyone tell me how to enter federal tax withheld from a Brokerage's 1099-B for form 8949 data using Turbotax Deluxe or Business?

All I could find on the support site was this reference to "boxes" my Turbotax programs do not have" 

Enter the sales info and then click on the second box right below for 
This sale involves an employee stock plan or an uncommon situation
Then click on Start Now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can anyone tell me how to enter federal tax withheld from a Brokerage's 1099-B for form 8949 data using Turbotax Deluxe or Business?

Use the one sale at a time mode of entry.  The small amount of dollars you're reporting on the attached picture means you just don't have very many trades to report and you might have thought that the "summary" entry method would be so much easier with understanding that you have to MAIL IN information after you file.  Both Box 4 and Box 16 - the taxes boxes - are available to you if you enter one sale at a time.

You don't have to MAIL IN for box A or box D.
aces5152
Returning Member

Thank You!  That might do it. I wonder why the program doesn't tell you that. In fact I initially did the long way, but all the 12 securities were bought and sold in the same year (2017) and the program wouldn't accept that so I went to Summary. I'll have to override, I guess and file a 1040X. Thanks again.

Since you took the Summary election, you won't get the option to enter a 1099-B tax withheld.

Instead list it as an "Estimated Tax Payment" under

Deductions and credits -- Other income taxes.
OR
go back and choose one sale at a time. You can't use Summary election for transactions with adjustments. (Withholding is not an adjustment.)

[[ -- ]]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies