Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kbeerchk1

Box 12 on W2, have a W & D with amounts. Where does this go when filing? Also, how do I know if I contributed to my 401k for the tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Box 12 on W2, have a W & D with amounts. Where does this go when filing? Also, how do I know if I contributed to my 401k for the tax credit?

Enter these only in box 12 of TurboTax' s W-2 form.  The code D entry is the amount that you electively deferred to the 401(k) and, when entered on TurboTax's W-2 form, TurboTax automatically considers this amount for the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit.  Your employer has already excluded the code D and code W amounts from the amount reported in box 1 of your W-2, so you to not get to exclude or deduct these amounts again on your tax return.

kbeerchk1

So do I say yes to the question, did I contribute to a retirement plan?
dmertz
Level 15

I'm not sure where are you being asked this question.  Yes, the code D indicates that you contributed to a retirement plan.  Just make sure that you don't enter any of the box 12 amounts in the Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions section of TurboTax.  A 401(k) is not an IRA.
kbeerchk1

In Deduction & Credits section. After mortgage information, it goes to Retirement Savings Contribution Credit. It will ask you, Did you contribute to a qualified retirement plan? Yes or No. Do I put Yes since I have a Code D in box 12 (W2)? And do I enter the amount again? Thank You
dmertz
Level 15

Unlike the CD/download versions of TurboTax, it appears that the online version of TurboTax has a bit of a deficiency in that it does not automatically recognize the code D entry as indicating that you made contributions to a qualified retirement plan.  You must answer Yes when asked if you contributed to a qualified retirement plan.

No, do not enter the code D amount again in the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit section, TurboTax already factors it in once you answer Yes to the first question and answer the other questions.

The value in Box 12 Code W for HSA contributions on my W2 includes both my contributions and my employers. Should this just be the value my employer contributed or should it be the total contribution of both my employer and me?

dmertz
Level 15

The code-W amount is correct.  Any contribution deposited on your behalf by your employer is considered to be an employer contribution, including those deducted from your paycheck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies