turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxxyDude
Returning Member

Understanding Maximum 401k Contributions

I am the sole proprietor of a small business. I am using Turbo Tax for Home & Small Business, entering information in the SELF-EMPLOYED RETIREMENT PLAN section.

When it asks DID YOU CONTRIBUTE TO AN INDIVIDUAL OR ROTH 401 (k) PLAN, I say YES.

When asked for my 2018 CONTRIBUTION to these plans,  I check the box to MAXIMIZE MY CONTRIBUTION to a 401K.

Turbo Tax tells me that my MAXIMUM 410K CONTRIBUTION is $24,500.

When asked if I contributed to a Keogh, SEP or Simple Plan, I say NO.

When I get to my Retirement Contributions page is says that my MAXIMUM ALLOWED TO QUALIFIED PLANS is $38,973.

How did I get from $24,500 to $38,973?

The difference is $14,473.

Where do I contribute this amount of $14,473?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Understanding Maximum 401k Contributions

$24,500 is your maximum employee elective deferral.  The $14,473 is the maximum employer contribution, 20% of your net profit minus the deductible portion of your self-employment taxes.  Assuming that you have no other employment that would put you over the Social Security wage limit, the $14,473 maximum employer contribution implies that your net profit from self-employment is about $80,555.  The calculations are shown on TurboTax's Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE Contribution Worksheet.

When you contribute to an individual 401(k), you designate the amount that is employee elective deferral ($24,500) and the amount that is employer contribution ($14,473).  The contribution form used by your 401(k) trustee is likely to have separate entries for each of these amounts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies