turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My sister and I inherited our mother's IRA CD. We cashed it out. When we both received our 1099-R, the section that says Taxable Amount said $0. Isn't this incorrect?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My sister and I inherited our mother's IRA CD. We cashed it out. When we both received our 1099-R, the section that says Taxable Amount said $0. Isn't this incorrect?

No, it is correct.

The inherited IRA is not taxable, but if there were earnings on it after she passed, that would be taxable to you.

There was, apparently, no taxable earnings.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTaxKrisD, perhaps you are confusing this with a non-retirement CD.  Traditional IRAs are usually funded with before-tax money, so any amount distributed is subject to tax as would any distribution from this decedent's IRA either before or after death.  After death it is income in respect of a decedent.  The code for a distribution from an inherited traditional IRA would be code 4.

So, unless the deceased had basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions, distributions from an inherited traditional IRA are indeed fully taxable.  I suggest not relying on TurboTax's summary and checking to see if the proper taxable amount is appearing on Form 1040 line 15b or Form 1040A line 11b.

If the IRA CD was a *Roth* IRA CD, it is not taxable if the distribution was made more than 5 years after the beginning of the year for which the decedent first made a Roth IRA contribution.  A distribution from a Roth IRA would be indicated by code T or Q on the Form 1099-R.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for setting me straight.
dmertz
Level 15

I've updated my comment to reflect the possibility that this is a Roth IRA CD, in which case it would be reasonable for the distribution to be nontaxable.
dmertz
Level 15

If the code in box 7 is 4 and it is not showing up as taxable, I suggest deleting and reentering the Form 1099-R, paying particular attention to the marking of the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box.

@Loveretirement are you the same person that posted this identical question at about the same time but with a different user name?

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3901747-my-sister-and-i-inherited-an-ira-cd-when-it-came-time-for-...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

No, it was my sister. She wanted to see if she got a different answer.

Dmertz, it was not a Roth IRA. We've decided to go to the bank and talk to the person that we dealt with to find out why the 1099-R is incorrect.

As in the answer in the other post, I suggest that you contact the payer.    The IRS gets a copy of the 1099-R from the payer so what you report should match what the payer sent.   In all likelihood box 2a should have the same amount as box 1 and 2b (not determined) not checked going by the box 7 code and the IRA box.    However, it this was a Roth IRA, then box 2a is correct but box 7 and the IRA box is not correct.   Either way I would ask the payer to be sure.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks

Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies