turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ltjohn03

If I went on maternity leave through my job and got paid for 6 weeks through my job would I get a 1099-G?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

If I went on maternity leave through my job and got paid for 6 weeks through my job would I get a 1099-G?

No,Form 1099-G - IRS.gov is for Certain Government Payments like Unemployment compensation, State or local income tax refunds, credits, or offsets.

If you are on short-term disability or maternity leave, you may get a W-2. Contact your Human Resources (HR) department to find out if you are going to get a tax form and if so, what kind.

For additional information, click on Are Short-Term Disability Claim Payments Considered Earnings ...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HelenaC

No,Form 1099-G - IRS.gov is for Certain Government Payments like Unemployment compensation, State or local income tax refunds, credits, or offsets.

If you are on short-term disability or maternity leave, you may get a W-2. Contact your Human Resources (HR) department to find out if you are going to get a tax form and if so, what kind.

For additional information, click on Are Short-Term Disability Claim Payments Considered Earnings ...

alfred-a

@TurboTaxHelenaC , I live in California, In 2018 I took a paternity leave in which was 100% paid by my employer.  In TurboTax as I was entering my W2 information one of the checkbox questions were: "Paid family leave - I earned all or part of this income as paid family leave" upon checking this box my CA refund increased dramatically.  Can you give more details around this?  I was on official LOA with a start/end date filed with MetLife for the FMLA job protection during my paid leave.
booradlly

The recommended answer does not answer the question at all. Does the CPA even know that 1099-G are given for Paid Family Leave? The question is, is maternity leave classified as PFL or not. I have no idea what the recommended answer is answering.
Jayanth

Hi @alfred-a, Sorry to bring back this old question but I am in the same boat as you and unsure how to report the duration i was on paternal leave in 2021. Do you remember how you got this resolved?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you were paid by your employer, the amount is probably included in your W-2 Wages, with a box checked to indicate that part was Paid Family Leave (or Third Party Sick Pay).

If you got paid by the government, you would receive a 1099-G to report the income.  You don't need to report the amount of time you were off on leave, just the amount received.

To get to this section, type 'Paid Family Leave' in the Search window and click on 'Jump to Paid Family Leave'.

Here's more info on Paid Family Leave. 

@Jayanth

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies