turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax won't let me enter 0 on 1040 line 11

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Don't enter anything on line 11 of the Deferral Worksheet. When the error comes up, delete the zero (or whatever is there) and leave the box empty.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 1040 line 11 is your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). You can't enter it because it's calculated from other information on your tax return. Line 11 is line 9 minus line 10C. Why do you think it should be zero? Did you have any income in 2020? If so, line 9 should be your total income. If you did not have any income, why are you filing a tax return?

I'm sorry, I didn't provide enough information. Part of the problem here is the turbotax review gives such a narrow window on what the problem is. I believe I am discussing line 11 on the self employment worksheet. Line 10 is a negative number, I'm not even eligible for self employment tax deferral. I don't want to defer any self employment taxes. But it keeps telling me to enter a number larger than zero. And I have gone through the tax deferral steps and requested no deferral. I'm suspicious the negative number on line 10 is causing the problem... Any advice?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Don't enter anything on line 11 of the Deferral Worksheet. When the error comes up, delete the zero (or whatever is there) and leave the box empty.

This did it, thank you. I would assume this is going to happen a lot, perhaps Intuit should address this?

Yes, I kept getting the same error.  It would not let me E file.  Told me I would have to print out the form and mail it as if I did something wrong.   After a couple of hours asking the ? questions.  I finally got the solution.  Yes it did have a - (Negative number) on that line.   Line 11 on form 1040 showed a zero and said it was too large.  Everything I did would not fix it until I took out the zero and left the line blank.  Then it worked perfectly.  I was then able to e file.   I've used Turbocad for the last 7 years and never had a problem.  Now using the online program it failed.  Probably due to a software programing issue.  I would like Turbocad to respond to this message and tell it's users that they failed to provide good programing and failed to even notify it's customers of this problem.  I'd like a refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies