turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is trying to make me upgrade to the deluxe version due to my 1099R for an early distribution. This seems suspect as Intuit is currently paying out on a collective action for falsely causing

Earlier I had done the forms before receiving the actual 1099R just to get an estimate of what my taxes may be. I was able to select the "this doesn't apply to me" button and continue with no proble
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is trying to make me upgrade to the deluxe version due to my 1099R for an early distribution. This seems suspect as Intuit is currently paying out on a collective action for falsely causing

Do you mean that you choose " this does not apply to you"  when it asks you about a 1099-R? If you do not have a 1099-R, you might be okay with the free edition.  However, if you have a 1099-R with an early distribution, you need an upgraded version. 

If you have not reached age 59 1/2 and you took an early distribution from a qualified retirement plan, like a 401k or IRA, you are entitled to a penalty that you must pay an additional 10% early withdrawal tax, unless an exception applies.  In the TurboTax program, once you enter your personal and Form 1099-R information, the program will generate a Form 5329 Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans and walk you through the steps to check if an exception applies to you.  If you qualify for an exception, you would not need to pay the penalty.  In order to complete this process, you need the TurboTax Deluxe version. 

I understand you might not feel the need for the upgrade, however, we want to make sure our process is in compliance with IRS regulations and ensure you the right amount of tax dues or refunds you are entitled to.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies