turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Your software is recognizing my Roth IRA distribution as an early one even though it was after I turned 59 1/2.

Because your software doesn't ask what the date of my distribution was, it incorrectly assumes it was an early one because I turned 59 1/2 during the tax year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Your software is recognizing my Roth IRA distribution as an early one even though it was after I turned 59 1/2.

TurboTax bases the penalty determination on the code reported in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.

If the payer mistakenly reported this distribution with code J instead of code T or Q despite you already having reached age 59½ prior to the date of the distribution in 2016, TurboTax will ask you if the distribution was made after reaching age 59½.  If you answer Yes, TurboTax will automatically prepare Form 5329 with an Other Reason exception to the early-distribution penalty.

If the Form 1099-R has code T or Q, TurboTax generally would not be calculating a penalty on the distribution.  If TurboTax does seem to be calculating a penalty on a code T or Q Form 1099-R, delete and reenter the 1099-R.

Also, be sure to click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and answer the questions that follow.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax bases the penalty determination on the code reported in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.

If the payer mistakenly reported this distribution with code J instead of code T or Q despite you already having reached age 59½ prior to the date of the distribution in 2016, TurboTax will ask you if the distribution was made after reaching age 59½.  If you answer Yes, TurboTax will automatically prepare Form 5329 with an Other Reason exception to the early-distribution penalty.

If the Form 1099-R has code T or Q, TurboTax generally would not be calculating a penalty on the distribution.  If TurboTax does seem to be calculating a penalty on a code T or Q Form 1099-R, delete and reenter the 1099-R.

Also, be sure to click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and answer the questions that follow.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies