minchingho

TurboTax asks info from form 5498 for the value of my traditional IRA

From all the posts I found, it seems I don't need to enter my form 5498. But, at one of the item (please see the attached screenshot), turbotax asks "Tell Us the value of your traditional IRA", there are 3 boxes I need to enter:

1. Value of your traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs on December 31,2018.

2. Outstanding rollovers

3. Outstanding Recharacterizations

Do I need to enter those?

If I need to enter them, where can I find these on form 5498? (which boxes on the form 5498?)

dmertz

Yes, you need to enter those.  TurboTax asks for these in anticipation of needing to prepare Form 8606 if Form 8606 is required to be included with your tax return.

Since the regular due date of your tax return is before the deadline for IRA custodians to issue Forms 5498, these values are normally obtained from your year-end IRA statements and from your transaction statements showing distributions that were made near the end of the tax year but were deposited as rollovers or recharacterizations early the following year.  The rollovers and recharacterizations for 2018 not deposited until 2019 will be reported on your 2019 Form 5498 that you won't receive until about a year from now, so you don't wait for that to file your 2018 tax return.

minchingho

Thank you for your answer. I do find 5498 available for my accounts. Actually, I found a 5498 for my 401k rollover IRA, a 1099-R for my traditional IRA, and a 5498 for my Roth IRA. Does turbotax ask me to enter "box 5 fair market value of account" into "value" box on turbotax? Do I also need to include the value of my traditional IRA even it has  1099-R? For the outstanding rollover box on Turbotax, does it ask me to enter “box 2 rollover contributions” on my 5498? The terms on the form maybe different. Can you please tell me the box number on my 5498 if I didn't get it right?

Thank you.
dmertz

You can generally ignore the Form 5498 and get all of the necessary information from your account statements and transaction records.

Whenever TurboTax asks you for the the year end value of your traditional IRAs TurboTax is asking for the sum of the values on December 31 of *all* traditional IRAs that you own.  If TurboTax asks you for the the year end value of your Roth IRAs TurboTax is asking for the sum of the values on December 31 of all Roth IRAs that you own.

"Outstanding" rollovers are those where a distribution is made from a traditional IRA late in the year but the funds are not rolled back into a traditional IRA until early in the following year, causing the funds to be temporarily outside any IRA on December 31.  Likewise for any recharacterizations.  Your Forms 5498 will *not* show any outstanding rollovers or recharacterizations that need to be reported on this year's tax return, you'll need to get information on these outstanding transactions, if any, from your account records.
minchingho

Thanks. In "Tell Us the value of All Your Traditional IRA Accounts", based on my understanding, I need to sum up 1. total value all IRAs on dec.31. 2018, 2. contribution I will make in 2019 for 2018 (before 4/15/2019 I assume) 3. distribution made in 2017. For example, In 2017, I have 7500. In 2018, I did backdoor Roth IRA for 5500. My IRA has 2000 left. In 2019, before 4/15, I contribute 3000 to my IRA. My statement on 12/31/2018 is 2000. Does it mean I only need to enter 2000 + 3000?
dmertz

No, just the total of traditional IRA values on December 31, 2018.  In your example, enter $2,000.
minchingho

My last post is about a different step from my first post. This step is in the beginning of the IRA related question. Turbotax clearly said 1. total value of all IRA,  2. contribution in 2019 for 2018, 3. any distribution made in 2017. I thought 1 and 2 are clear to me. I did not get item 3, distribution in 2017. That's why I asked if I need to enter 2000+3000 at this particular step "Tell Us the value of All Your Traditional IRA Accounts".
dmertz

Oh, you are asking about the page where TurboTax asks this to determine your penalty for an excess traditional IRA contribution.  Yes, in this case you are to enter the sum of your 2018 year-end balance and any contributions made in 2019 for 2018, $5,000.

The reference to distributions made in 2017 makes no sense at all to me.  I think it's wrong.
minchingho

Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate all the information you shared with me.
cannison

I entered the balance of my traditional IRA account as of Dec 31 ($10k in my example) and my tax liability went up significantly. Why does this happen? These are after tax dollars that were contributed over the years. There were no early disbursements, just a conversion of new contributions to a Roth during the year.

For example:

• Existing Traditional IRA balance Dec 31 2020: $10K
  • New 2020 Traditional IRA contributions: $6K
  • 2020 Conversions from Traditional to Roth: $6K 
fanfare

if you have several IRAs, you likely would not get a 5498 from all of them.

Therefore you have to look at your year end statements to get the total value of all IRAs.