turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2016 TT H&B update 12/16/16: Sched C Part 1 Line 1a form-view data entry broken - cannot edit or delete a prior value. Workaround is change this value via Step-by-step.

In form-view, program does not respond to right-click menu choices in this field of Add Supporting Details or Data Source. The un-editable field behavior is typical of fields that have a Data Source but none is offered.  Either the un-editable behavior is intended and the Data Source function was not completed or the un-editable behavior property itself is the programming error.  The discovered workaround adds a level of confusion as to the intended editing behavior of this field.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

2016 TT H&B update 12/16/16: Sched C Part 1 Line 1a form-view data entry broken - cannot edit or delete a prior value. Workaround is change this value via Step-by-step.

This is apparently intentional operation.  There are a few fields like this on Schedule C in TurboTax Home & Business.  For such fields, the details entered in step-by-step mode are not accessible anywhere in forms mode.  I reported the same issue for similar behavior of the field for self-employed health insurance payments next to line 15 and Intuit indicated to me that they have no intent to change the behavior.

The affected fields on Schedule C are editable in forms mode only if no values have previously been entered for the field in step-by-step mode.  In the case of Schedule C line 1a, to be able to directly enter an amount on the form, you must go back to step-by-step mode and remove all of the entries that you made under Business Income and  Expenses -> Profit or Loss from Business -> [Edit your business] -> Business Income -> General Income -> Any General Business Income?

Once those entries are removed, you will be able to directly enter on line 1a.  However, making the entry directly on line 1a in forms mode voids TurboTax's accuracy guarantee with regard to any calculation error traceable to the that entry.

There are a few other fields in TurboTax that are editable only if the value has not propagated from another form in TurboTax, but those source forms themselves are linked via Data Source, and are viewable and editable in forms mode, so it isn't so much of an issue with those.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Using the 2016 Premier desktop edition, the Schedule C Part 1, Line 1a is editable and right clicking on that line or any other line on the schedule gives the Menu/Window for Data Source, Add Supporting Details, etc.  Note - There is no Data Source for Line 1a as that is a direct user input, either from the step-by-step interview or directly on the schedule itself.
My TurboTax software is installed on a Windows 10 PC with all the latest windows updates and all the TurboTax latest releases.

Suggest you check to make sure that you have the latest TurboTax releases.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen, then Check for Updates.  Also, if you have not restarted your PC after installing the TurboTax software and updates, go ahead and restart.  See if this corrects your problem.  If not, uninstall and re-install the software.  Restart the PC again and see if that corrects the problem.
If not, then contact TurboTax support for assistance.  Support is closed on the weekends after tax season.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
dmertz
Level 15

2016 TT H&amp;B update 12/16/16: Sched C Part 1 Line 1a form-view data entry broken - cannot edit or delete a prior value. Workaround is change this value via Step-by-step.

This is apparently intentional operation.  There are a few fields like this on Schedule C in TurboTax Home & Business.  For such fields, the details entered in step-by-step mode are not accessible anywhere in forms mode.  I reported the same issue for similar behavior of the field for self-employed health insurance payments next to line 15 and Intuit indicated to me that they have no intent to change the behavior.

The affected fields on Schedule C are editable in forms mode only if no values have previously been entered for the field in step-by-step mode.  In the case of Schedule C line 1a, to be able to directly enter an amount on the form, you must go back to step-by-step mode and remove all of the entries that you made under Business Income and  Expenses -> Profit or Loss from Business -> [Edit your business] -> Business Income -> General Income -> Any General Business Income?

Once those entries are removed, you will be able to directly enter on line 1a.  However, making the entry directly on line 1a in forms mode voids TurboTax's accuracy guarantee with regard to any calculation error traceable to the that entry.

There are a few other fields in TurboTax that are editable only if the value has not propagated from another form in TurboTax, but those source forms themselves are linked via Data Source, and are viewable and editable in forms mode, so it isn't so much of an issue with those.

2016 TT H&amp;B update 12/16/16: Sched C Part 1 Line 1a form-view data entry broken - cannot edit or delete a prior value. Workaround is change this value via Step-by-step.

@dmertz - For many fields on the schedules those are locked once the user inputs data in the interview as you have stated.  However, in this case for Schedule C Part 1, Line 1a can be edited in Forms after a user entry in the interview.  At least using the Premier software.  I would assume this would also be true using H&B, but we all know about assuming. 😉
dmertz
Level 15

True for Premier (and lower versions), *not* true for H&B.

Thanks....Good to know.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made an error in reporting US Savings Bond interest and it appeared on the form view. Then I found the proper way, in step-by-step, and entered it. Now my error cannot be found or corrected in step-by-step, and it cannot be deleted or changed on the form. And I understand the form is what will be sent.
since95
Returning Member

TT UI behavior described by dmertz confirmed for H&B edition: deleting previously entered SbyS mode data releases lock on Forms mode data entry.  TT UI defect here is not graphically indicating in Forms mode for a field the data entry interlock behavior with SbyS mode - TT Forms mode data entry just seems broken to the user.  I use SbyS mode for tax estimation in early Q4 when most data are estimates anyway and details not important, then power-user Forms mode for year-end when all details do matter.  One way for TT to indicate interlock in Forms mode within the existing UI concept of operations would be a pseudo-Data Source of "Step-by-step mode entered data" via right-click menu.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies