cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Took an IRA QCD. Previously, IRS wrote that I owed more tax. Had to send documentation. After I efile, can I mail supporting information about the QCD with my tax check?

I would like to send documentation about the Qualified Charitable Distribution now instead of waiting a year to hear from the IRS. Twice (a year later) they have said I owed more money. After I sent the documentation, all was ok. I would like a way to send the information now.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

Took an IRA QCD. Previously, IRS wrote that I owed more tax. Had to send documentation. After I efile, can I mail supporting information about the QCD with my tax check?

If using the CD/download version. you can switch to the forms mode and select the 1040 Worksheet.

Line 4 has a "Explain" button where you can enter an explanation of the line 4b amount that will be part of your tax return on a separate page.

You cannot attach anything though.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

If using the CD/download version. you can switch to the forms mode and select the 1040 Worksheet.

Line 4 has a "Explain" button where you can enter an explanation of the line 4b amount that will be part of your tax return on a separate page.

You cannot attach anything though.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1

Great! That works. Thanks very much.