turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ladytek

Does the amount of Federal Income Tax Withheld count toward a Required Minimum Distribution?

Example: RMD required is $13887. Brokerage has withheld $1666 federal and $139 state taxes and transferred $12082 to my after-tax account. Have I met the requirement?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does the amount of Federal Income Tax Withheld count toward a Required Minimum Distribution?

The 1099-R box 1 amount is what counts.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The 1099-R box 1 amount is what counts.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ladytek

Thanks for replying. However, this being my first year of RMD, I don't yet have a 1099 that shows both taxable amount in box 1 and Federal Tax Withheld in box 4, so I don't know whether the amount I'm withdrawing will complete my requirement. IRS instructions don't seem to cover this, either.

"This" year - meaning 2017?

If this was a 2017 distribution then you will report it on your 2017 tax return next year in 2018 and you will have the 1099-R then.

Also if you turn 70 1/2 in 2017 then you have until April 1 of 2018 to take the first RMD (you would also have to take the 2018 RMD in addition before the end of 2018).  That only applies to the *first* RMD for the year that you turn 70 1/2.
ladytek

Thanks for your reply. I understand everything you've said; just bump it back a year, as  first year of RMD was 2016 and I'm working on taxes for that year. The 1099-R I have in hand doesn't answer my question because all of that distribution was donations to charity, so naturally broker didn't take any withholding. If amount withheld does count toward RMD, then I'm golden, as we've withdrawn the proper remaining amount out to be taxed this year; if not, I have until March 1 to withdraw some more to complete last year's RMD.

The amount of the distribution for RMD purposes is the 1099-R box 1 amount.

Was this a QCD (Qualified Charitable Donation) send directly from the account trustee-to the charity trustee?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies