turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have received an 1099-Q form because a Coverdell ESA was transferred from one trustee to another trustee. There is an amount for gross distribution, but earnings and basis is $0. Do I need to to report this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

I have received an 1099-Q form because a Coverdell ESA was transferred from one trustee to another trustee. There is an amount for gross distribution, but earnings and basis is $0. Do I need to to report this?

This 1099-Q is simply to show that the original trustee made a reportable distribution from an ESA. If you rolled over this distribution into another ESA account within 60 days the distribution reflected in the current 1099-Q is not taxable.

Since this was a Qualified Distribution you do not have to report the information from this form on your Tax Return. You only have to report distributions from and ESA that are taxable. Usually a taxable distribution from an ESA occurs when the amount of the distribution exceeds the amount of Qualified Education expenses for that year. This is very common with students who receive Scholarships and Grants, all the while receiving a distribution from and ESA. The money from the Scholarships and Grants offsets what would have been Qualified Education Expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JaimeG

This 1099-Q is simply to show that the original trustee made a reportable distribution from an ESA. If you rolled over this distribution into another ESA account within 60 days the distribution reflected in the current 1099-Q is not taxable.

Since this was a Qualified Distribution you do not have to report the information from this form on your Tax Return. You only have to report distributions from and ESA that are taxable. Usually a taxable distribution from an ESA occurs when the amount of the distribution exceeds the amount of Qualified Education expenses for that year. This is very common with students who receive Scholarships and Grants, all the while receiving a distribution from and ESA. The money from the Scholarships and Grants offsets what would have been Qualified Education Expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies