turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ii333444

I received $9000 in form 1099 from the builder for construction defect settlement, IRS says it is non-taxable, how do I enter in turbo tax to not get any tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I received $9000 in form 1099 from the builder for construction defect settlement, IRS says it is non-taxable, how do I enter in turbo tax to not get any tax?

There are two methods, neither one is perfect.

One, just leave it off. The IRS will definitely send a letter saying "you forgot to report some income" and you would answer with a letter explaining that this was a settlement for construction damages, and reduces your basis in the home but is not taxable.

Or two, enter the 1099-MISC (make sure that the money is in box 3, not box 7, and you indicate this is a settlement so you don't get taxed for self-employment as well.  then go back into other miscellaneous income an enter an item for "adjustment for non-taxable damage award" of negative or minus $9000.  That will offset the income.  That should also stop you getting the letter that says "you forgot to report a 1099-MISC form" but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't get a different letter asking you to explain the negative adjustment.

ii333444

Where do I entered 1099 amount?  Which line on schedule c?  Where do I enter the negative 9000 as misc income?

It's not schedule C at all, assuming that this was your personal home we're talking about.  It's line 21 other income with a corresponding line 21 negative offset.  In turbotax, enter it using the 1099 interview in personal income, not business income.
ii333444

So basically I entered two lines on line 21, one for $9000, one for $-9000?

Yes.   By entering it specifically as a 1099-MISC, (with payer ID and so on) the existence of the form is acknowledged by the IRS and they won't think you forgot or are hiding it.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies