Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My W-2 incorrectly reflects a Retirement Plan in Blk 13 and my IRA deduction was limited; must I get an amended W-2 and is doing and filing an amended return worthwhile?

I terminated from my employment in Oct15, however, was on severance several months into 2016 and thus received a W-2.  I did have a retirement plan while employed, however, that eligibility ended in Oct15.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My W-2 incorrectly reflects a Retirement Plan in Blk 13 and my IRA deduction was limited; must I get an amended W-2 and is doing and filing an amended return worthwhile?

The W-2 could be wrong since most W-2's are computer generated and someone would have had to uncheck the covered by retirement box.  If they failed to do so then the computer could have put it on the W-2 in error.  You need to talk to the payroll dept. to check and correct it if it is wrong.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Is anything in box 12?    If the employer contributed to the plan in 2016 (even if it carried from 2015) then it applies to 2016.  If you think the W-2 is wrong, contact the employer for a corrected W-2.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks very much. No, there's nothing in block 12. I'll contact my former employer and assess filing an amended return.

The employer might still have contributed to the plan even if you did not because of the severance pay so you would still be covered.  That would not show up in box 12.

My termination letter dtd 10/2/15 states specifically that participation in benefits based on employment status (e.g. Cash Retirement Income Plan, Savings Investment Plan (401k), Long-Term Disability, etc.) will cease as of the date your employee status ceases.  Health insurance benefits extended to the end of the month in which severance ended.  The Cash plan (company money only) would have continued to pay interest but there were no further contributions after Oct15.  Same for the SIP/401k (employee money only).  Thanks very much for your responses, by the way - very helpful to consider.

The W-2 could be wrong since most W-2's are computer generated and someone would have had to uncheck the covered by retirement box.  If they failed to do so then the computer could have put it on the W-2 in error.  You need to talk to the payroll dept. to check and correct it if it is wrong.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies