turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MK312

For Form 1099-R, what are examples when Distribution Code 02 (Early distribution, exception applies) is used? Would this include a direct contribution from an IRA to HSA?

In 2015, I funded my HSA with a direct transfer of funds from my IRA. My IRA company provided Form 1099-R with a Distribution Code of 01 - Early distribution, no known exception (in most cases, under age 59.5).  The IRS says I owe taxes, plus a 10% penalty on the distribution. I asked my IRA company to fix this by providing a corrected Form 1099-R with a Distribution Code of 02 - Early distribution, exception applies (under age 59.5), by the IRA company refused. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

For Form 1099-R, what are examples when Distribution Code 02 (Early distribution, exception applies) is used? Would this include a direct contribution from an IRA to HSA?

The proper code in box 7 of Form 1099-R for this is code 1 because the IRA custodian has no way to know if you qualify for an HSA contribution or not.

Provided that the entire distribution was a qualified HSA Funding Distribution (HFD), this distribution is not reportable on Form 5329 at all because none of it is taxable.  All that is necessary is that the HFD was included on Form 1040 line 15a or Form 1040A line 11a, excluded from line 15b or 11b, and that the notation "HFD" is included next to the line.  TurboTax does all of this automatically when you enter the Form 1099-R and you indicate the amount that what transferred to an HSA.

dmertz
Level 15

The HFD should also have been present on line 10 of your Form 8889.

If everything was reported correctly, all you should need to do is point that out to the IRS and to point out to the IRS that your 2015 Form 5498-SA from the HSA shows the contribution included in box 2.
MK312

Hi dmertz - Thank you for this very helpful information. Best - MK312
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies