Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmandelb

Why does Turbotax have an option to "Maximize Contribution to Individual 401k" instead of asking how much I have contributed?

I am self-employed and have a self-employed individual 401k plan. Let's say I already contributed the max allowed of $1,000 to my plan based on my self-employed income in 2017. I can either type in my contribution of $1,000 or I can check the "Maximize Contribution  to Individual 401k" box so the program will calculate it (to be $1,000). Does it matter which option I choose in the program - typing it in or checking the box? Is the box a "potential contribution" and if I type it in then it is an actual contribution I have made? It looks like either way, $1,000 (as the max) will be used as my contribution, so I just wanted to check.
Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does Turbotax have an option to "Maximize Contribution to Individual 401k" instead of asking how much I have contributed?

The "maximized contribution" button is simply a tool to help calculate what your maximum contribution limit is given the information you have already entered into the program.  Generally, it would be used by someone who hasn't yet contributed to their plan when doing their taxes and wants to know what the maximum amount they can contribute is - so, they can check that box and then TurboTax will run a calculation and tell them a contribution amount.  Then, they can contribute that amount by their plans due date.  

One thing to watch though - if you check the maximize box, TurboTax is going to assume that you are going to contribute that amount by the due date and it will place that amount on Line 28 as a deduction.  So, you only want to check the maximize box if you are going to, in fact, contribute the maximum amount.  Otherwise, you should just enter your contribution by typing it into the program.

Since you have already contributed to your plan and figured out the maximum on your own, you would not need to check that box and you should just enter your contribution by typing it in.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The "maximized contribution" button is simply a tool to help calculate what your maximum contribution limit is given the information you have already entered into the program.  Generally, it would be used by someone who hasn't yet contributed to their plan when doing their taxes and wants to know what the maximum amount they can contribute is - so, they can check that box and then TurboTax will run a calculation and tell them a contribution amount.  Then, they can contribute that amount by their plans due date.  

One thing to watch though - if you check the maximize box, TurboTax is going to assume that you are going to contribute that amount by the due date and it will place that amount on Line 28 as a deduction.  So, you only want to check the maximize box if you are going to, in fact, contribute the maximum amount.  Otherwise, you should just enter your contribution by typing it into the program.

Since you have already contributed to your plan and figured out the maximum on your own, you would not need to check that box and you should just enter your contribution by typing it in.  

It seems that the only non-maximized contribution is to my firm's profit sharing plan.  But that is apparently because my firm chose to create a plan that permits contributions that are less than the maximum allowed by law.  I don't think I can make an additional profit sharing contribution beyond what is allowed by my firm's plan, even if TurboTax seems to think I can...can I?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies