turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lil_ixi03

Do I need to file my 1099-G form? Boxes 2 and 3 are the only ones with anything in them. I have already filed my return, I need to know if it is necessary to report this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to file my 1099-G form? Boxes 2 and 3 are the only ones with anything in them. I have already filed my return, I need to know if it is necessary to report this.

The IRS already has a copy of this document associated with your social security number so it is always best to complete your return with all income documents, so you should file an amended return.  However, if after completing the amended form you will not owe or you will not get a refund due to this addition, you do not have to send in the amendment.

If you are due a refund, wait until you have received that before completing the amendment to prevent delays.  You have up to 3 years from the due date of the return or 2 years after sending a payment to the IRS to submit your amendment.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.

Please see the instructions to complete the amendment when you are ready and select 'see entire answer' to read all the information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The IRS already has a copy of this document associated with your social security number so it is always best to complete your return with all income documents, so you should file an amended return.  However, if after completing the amended form you will not owe or you will not get a refund due to this addition, you do not have to send in the amendment.

If you are due a refund, wait until you have received that before completing the amendment to prevent delays.  You have up to 3 years from the due date of the return or 2 years after sending a payment to the IRS to submit your amendment.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.

Please see the instructions to complete the amendment when you are ready and select 'see entire answer' to read all the information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies