Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The federal modified taxable income was flagged as an error on my state taxes. Upon review, the corresponding field is empty. What is supposed to be entered here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The federal modified taxable income was flagged as an error on my state taxes. Upon review, the corresponding field is empty. What is supposed to be entered here?

It depends on the question being asked on your state tax return.  More information may help resolve your issue.  For example, what state tax return are your preparing, and what is the specific question or section of the state tax return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The aforementioned question refers to the "Total Household Resources Worksheet" for Michigan state taxes. Specifically, section 16, box j, subsection 2. Neither myself or my husband are self-employed, therefore, I'm uncertain how a net operating loss deduction applies to us. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends on the rest of the entries why this information is populating. 

You can see an explanation in TurboTax CD/Download by right-clicking in the cell. At the bottom of the pop-up window, is an "About" option. The details below are from this source.

Section 16 Box j, subsection 2 guidance states: 

Enter the amount of federal modified taxable income from your manually prepared Form MI-1045, Application for Michigan Net Operating Loss Refund, Part 3 and be sure to attach Form MI-1045, Application for Michigan Net Operating Loss Refund to your return.

Subsection 1 guidance states:

This amount transfers from the federal return (as a positive amount). If you have a net operating loss deduction, you must manually complete Form MI-1045, Application for Michigan Net Operating Loss Refund and figure the federal modified taxable income (FMTI). Enter the FMTI amount on line 16j(2).

If this section truly does not apply to you, I recommend running through the Federal and Michigan interviews, particularly if details were imported, to verify there are no extraneous entries. There could be an unnecessary -0- that was pulled in that should be deleted. If the cell does not apply, it should be blank. 

@beckypostma

You suggested I go through "Federal and Michigan interviews". What does this mean? Where do I look on my tax returns for the relevant section pertaining to "federal modified taxable income"? I have reviewed my federal return and am not sure what I am looking for. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies