turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Federal ID number for my military retirement statement isn't being accepted by turbotax on my 1099-R

On my 1099-R form, the "Payer's Federal identification number" is 34-072761 on my form sent to me from the DFAS but turbotax says "the employer identification number entered is not valid" and I cannot go any further.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
garywhit

The Federal ID number for my military retirement statement isn't being accepted by turbotax on my 1099-R

I am copying the Payer's Federal ID (34-072761) directly from the 1099-R but it is not being accepted and I can not proceed with filing my returns. 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Check to be sure there is not another number at the end of what you have entered above. It should be 9 characters to be a correct Federal ID #.

Can you compare it with the EIN you used last year for DFAS?

Do not enter the hyphen (-).  The software will add it and it will keep you from entering the last number.

Don't copy because it may copy the hyphen.  Just manually enter the #s.

Thank you for your response!  Yes, I looked at an old return and there was one number missing at the end for this years statement.  Once that was in the rest worked just fine.  Now I am able to finish my return.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies