ericnleong

The Federal ID number for my military retirement statement isn't being accepted by turbotax on my 1099-R

On my 1099-R form, the "Payer's Federal identification number" is 34-072761 on my form sent to me from the DFAS but turbotax says "the employer identification number entered is not valid" and I cannot go any further.
garywhit

I am copying the Payer's Federal ID (34-072761) directly from the 1099-R but it is not being accepted and I can not proceed with filing my returns. 

gloriah5200

Check to be sure there is not another number at the end of what you have entered above. It should be 9 characters to be a correct Federal ID #.

Can you compare it with the EIN you used last year for DFAS?

Do not enter the hyphen (-).  The software will add it and it will keep you from entering the last number.

Don't copy because it may copy the hyphen.  Just manually enter the #s.

ericnleong

Thank you for your response!  Yes, I looked at an old return and there was one number missing at the end for this years statement.  Once that was in the rest worked just fine.  Now I am able to finish my return.  Thanks!