Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The distribution code H on my 1099R for a Roth 401k rollover, doesn't match the TT code H. 1099 says H=Direct rollover of designated Roth account distribution to Roth IRA

I am looking at the "dynamic header" that changes as items are entered in TurboTax. With a distribution code G (on traditional 401k->Traditional IRA) it increases the Federal Tax Due amount. When I change it to the code H, the Federal Tax Due amount is reduced (and, i think, accurate).

The distribution code H on my 1099R for a Roth 401k rollover, doesn't match the TT code H. 1099 says H=Direct rollover of designated Roth account distribution to Roth IRA

Switch to the forms mode and see what in on the 1040 line 16 or 1040A form line 12.

When you go through the interview for the code G, are you answering NO to both the questions that ask about a Roth?  The default is a Traditional IRA.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Or 1040 line 16.  Line 16b should be zero and say ROLLOVER by it.

I meant to say 16 - typo - I corrected it.

If box 2a is zero and code G in box 7, the box 2b and IRA/SEP/SIMPLE boxes NOT checked and the two Roth questions answered NO then I know of no way that will be taxable.

I suggest that you switch to the forms mode to delete the 1099-R form and then re-enter in the interview to make sure that something is not "stuck" on the form.

In the forms mode, select the 1099-R in the forms column and use the remove (delete) form button.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will try them this afternoon.
seninus
Returning Member

Hey i am having the same issue.  if I add both G and H,  Turbotax reports over 100k rollover.    do you end up only reporting for 1099-R with code H only??  and don't import the 1099-r with code G? 

Thanks

dmertz
Level 15

If you received two Forms 1099-R, one with code G and one with code H, both must be reported.  Each of these is considered to be income, although the income reported on the code H is nontaxable income and box 2a of the code G Form 1099-R indicates the amount of that distribution is taxable income, with the difference between the box 1 and box 2a amounts being nontaxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies