turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msahungra

On form 8606, lines1-5 and 13-15 are correct. Lines 6 -12 are blank. Want to know how to fix this.?

I did back conversion from traditional IRA to Roth IRA.  On my form 8606, 1-5 and 13-15 are correct but lines 6 -12 are blank. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

On form 8606, lines1-5 and 13-15 are correct. Lines 6 -12 are blank. Want to know how to fix this.?

The asterisks on lines 13 and 15 indicate that TurboTax is doing the calculation on TurboTax's Taxable IRA Distribution Worksheet instead of using lines 6 through 12 of Form 8606.  This is TurboTax's implementation of Worksheet 1-1 in IRS Pub 590-B.  You can view this worksheet in forms mode or by printing your tax return with all forms and worksheets.

Lena8
Returning Member

I plan to submit via paper so line 6 on 8606 needs to be filled in. What should I do? It only fills in if I just put in the Trad to IRA conversion. If in addition I put in my taxable  trad contribution for 2020 (different transaction)  the total value  numbers on line 6 disappear and are only on the worksheet. Can not get the form to do both

dmertz
Level 15

Include the words "See Statement" and include TurboTax's Taxable IRA Distribution Worksheet which will show the year-end value in your traditional IRAs.  Beware, though, that TurboTax seems to use this worksheet in more situations than are appropriate, so the IRS might disagree with the use of that worksheet in your particular situation.

the asterisk, if present should be fine and you don't need to attach the worksheet, which could only be done by paper filing.

So, even if the form 8606 does not have filled in lines 6-12 (and I have TIRA to Roth conversion to report), if I have asterisks and 13, 15, and 18 : it's all good? How can I make sure that the calculations are correct either way?

Thank you!

selfprepare
Returning Member

Hi.  Any suggestions on what one could do if line 13 is blank on form 8606?  After tax contribution to IRA and then moved to Roth IRA

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@selfprepare  Is line 11 populated?  The full amount that you converted should appear on lines 1, 3, 8, 9, 11 and 13.  13 is the end result of all of those prior lines.  So one of the other boxes isn't filled out which means it hasn't been entered correctly.  

How to enter a backdoor Roth in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies