turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shenbw01

Can I make traditional IRA contribution before 4/15 for prior year's tax and after 4/15 withdraw the same for this year's, if the tax rates are expected to be different?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I make traditional IRA contribution before 4/15 for prior year's tax and after 4/15 withdraw the same for this year's, if the tax rates are expected to be different?

Sure you can. But if you are under age 59 1/2 then the withdrawal will have an additional 10% penalty in addition to the normal tax.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

15 Replies

It's unlikely any tax changes will be retroactive, IMHO.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1. A change in tax rates for 2017 is certainly possible between now and the end of the year.
2. Congress frequently makes retroactive changes to the income tax. (But rates for 2016 won't change.)
3. OP might be subject to different rates in 2016 and 2017 because of differences in income, even if the tax rates in the law aren't changed at all.
shenbw01

Thanks. I am over 60 and am retiring this month. I expect my income to be less this year than last, thus, the lower tax rate, and assuming no tax law changes in 2017.
shenbw01

So, effectively I can recycle the same $6500 IRA contribution to reduce prior year's income and postpone the tax until next year, perpetually, until the minimum withdrawal rule kick in.

Well ... when you say "perpetually" that isn't likely since your transition between employment and retirement only occurs once.  As other have stated, legislative change to tax rates is unpredictable.

To get to details:  Assuming you have sufficient "earned" income (not pension) to qualify to contribute and don't exceed the limiting AGI thresholds for contributions ... Consider the real impact of your plan.  Calculating the absolute dollar value is simple.  It is ((tax rate while employed) - (tax rate while retired)) x $6500.  So, if contribute the maximum of $6500 and you are in the 25% bracket while employed, then you fall to the 15% tax bracket when retired, the saving is only $650.  Remember that if you experience any earnings in the account before your withdrawal, that will be additional income on which you will owe tax.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

This is really just a one-year income-shifting strategy. If you are going to perpetually defer the income from year to year, you might as well just leave the money in the IRA. Taking it out and putting it back in every year doesn't accomplish anything.
shenbw01

We do intend to maintain part time job. With both of us contributing $6500 each, if you do it right, you can make that 25% tax liability disappears over 2-3 years without much of the work, I guess.

Also consider your state taxes.

Sure you can. But if you are under age 59 1/2 then the withdrawal will have an additional 10% penalty in addition to the normal tax.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Also be careful where you invest the IRA.  A bank CD or insurance company Annuity may have their own early cash out contractual penalties.

I should add that IRA's are intended for long term retirement investments, not short term gains bases on tax rates.

QUICK Followup: I'm 65 and made both SEP IRA and TRAD IRA contributions this year to existing accounts. They both now say "LONG TERM" ... which technically they are. But I just made the new contributions. Can I take out any amount I wish, knowing I'll be taxed as income, going forward? I could use some of the money that is just sitting in the money market right now that hasn't been allocated to any funds.

This is a 2 year old thread. It would be better to post your question in a new posting.
Deposits to IRA accounts become neither "long term" nor "short term." Those distinctions have impact on how funds are taxed in regular investment accounts.  However, withdrawals from IRA accounts are all taxed as "ordinary income" no matter how long the funds have been in the account.
tuckerdognc
Returning Member

Thanks. Your answer makes sense. Sometimes the only place to get information is a two year old thread. And often, as with tech, I find myself searching with :2019 in the search because 5 year old tech answers is like 20 in dog years. Thanks again!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies