turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased a street legal Club Car Precedent Golf Cart w/22 inch Street Tires in 2016. All electric and lasts at least 8 kw hours. Does it qualify for a Tax Credit ?

In 2016 I  purchased a street legal Club Car Precedent Golf Cart w/22 inch Street Tires.   All electric and lasts at least 8 kw hours. Used for personal travel around our community.  Does it qualify for a Tax Credit ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Andy_F

I purchased a street legal Club Car Precedent Golf Cart w/22 inch Street Tires in 2016. All electric and lasts at least 8 kw hours. Does it qualify for a Tax Credit ?

No, golf carts do not qualify after the year 2009, because they do not meet the minimum definition of a 'motor vehicle.'

Motor Vehicle. The term “motor vehicle” means any vehicle that is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways (not including a vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails) and which has at least 4 wheels. For purposes of this notice, the term “motor vehicle” does not include a low-speed vehicle within the meaning of section 571.3 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or a vehicle that is manufactured primarily for off-road use, such as primarily for use on a golf course.

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Andy_F

No, golf carts do not qualify after the year 2009, because they do not meet the minimum definition of a 'motor vehicle.'

Motor Vehicle. The term “motor vehicle” means any vehicle that is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways (not including a vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails) and which has at least 4 wheels. For purposes of this notice, the term “motor vehicle” does not include a low-speed vehicle within the meaning of section 571.3 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or a vehicle that is manufactured primarily for off-road use, such as primarily for use on a golf course.

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

Thank you very much for this information.
Andy_F

Of course!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies